Re: Root shell with logging

Another option is to use Enterprise Audit Shell -- this application will allow you to log all activity performed by a user during a root session. I have successfully implemented this and use sudo to enable root access, but only via /usr/local/sbin/eash (path to audit shell binary).

The EAS logs to a remote server via SSL-protected connection and allows real-time play-back of a users session (during the session) or after the fact playback. There are also reporting features built in.

This product is currently freely available but I did hear a rumor that it will not be for much longer, so get it while you can. If you mail me off-list I might be able to provide a 2.0 release version.

Some RPMs are available here:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=eash

Here's an overview by the author on the sudo-announce list:
http://www.gratisoft.us/pipermail/sudo-announce/2006-March/000062.html

Thanks,
--
Joshua M. Miller - RHCE,VCP

mark wrote:
Krishnaprasad_K@xxxxxxxx wrote:
ps ax will show all the processes running in your system. Redirect its
output to a file when a user logs in.

add this command in /etc/profile script ps ax > /tmp/processes.txt
<snip>
Don't think that's quite what he was asking for. ps -fu <username> might be closer. However, he said *root* shell with logging, implying not just any user. My solution to that would be that the folks he's worrying about logging should not log in as root, but rather use sudo, which logs every command they issue.

    mark