Re: os doesn't boot, "filesystem needs repair."

Paula J. Lindsay wrote:
Hi Mr. Roth,

Just mark.

I fixed my problem.  I was going to painfully reinstall, but when I booted
from the cd, I was able to see the filesystem (ext3).  I decided to take a
chance and umount each filesystem and do an fsck on each one.  The / is the
one that was in bad shape. Lost inodes, lost packets belonging to inodes, stuff I'd never heard of before. I did an fsck and in about 40 minutes the filesystem was repaired and I was able to do a reboot and get the system back up. Can I ask you why the filesystem didn't repair when it asked me from the single user before bringing up the filesystem, just the kernel

By booting from the CD, root on your hard drive was not mounted, nor were you using libraries and programs from the hard drive. Also, to do an fsck, you need to have it unmounted.

I'm *very* glad you're back up. That would have been a nightmare, not to mention everything you might have lost. (Or did you have /home, and other places with your/your users' data, on another partition than root?)

controller?  Also, I checked the logs and it seems like the trouble started
when ypxfrd and ypbind went down.   That doesn't make sense to me.  Well, at

I think you're seeing effects, not causes.

least I can go to the summit and not worry about it.  Many thanks for
answering me, I really really appreciate your help. Paula

That's why we're all on this list - to help each other, and share knowledge.

	mark