Re: Enabling a second nic(eth1) disconnects eth0

Ezra Taylor wrote:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=2xx.2xx.2xx.255
HWADDR=xxxxxxxxxxx
IPADDR=2xx.2xx.2xx.2xx
NETMASK=2xx.2xx.2xx.2xx
NETWORK=2xx.2xx.2xx.2xx
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
GATEWAY=2xx.2xx.2xx.2xx

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=1xx.2xx.xxx.1xx
NETMASK=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
HWADDR=xxxxxxxxxxxx
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=1xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

On 4/25/07, Herta Van den Eynde <herta.vandeneynde@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 25/04/07, Ezra Taylor <ezra.taylor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all:
> I'm trying to enable a second nic in my box. The second
nic
> is on a different network and uses a different gateway.  Once I enable
the
> second(eth1) nic the first nic(eth0) loses connectivity.  Note,
the  nics
> are connected via patch panel and  the patch panel is connected to the
> switch.
>
> --
> Ezra Taylor

Ezra,

May be a config issue.  Could you post the output of "cat
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[01]", please?

Kind regards,

Herta

I'm thinking it's due to the presence of two default gateways. I've never seen that setup work. YOu'll need to specify routes for the second interface seperately instead of using a default gw.

--
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator