Re: MSL6000 TAPE ISSUE

Redouane N. wrote:
Guys,

We have a Red Hat AS version 4 update 4 connected to HP StorageWorks
MSL6000 Tape Libraries... when we installed red hat linux... we was
able to see the Ultrium 460 Tape Drives.... but now we can not!!!! we
only see the MSL6000 .... is there a way to force red hat to rescan
for tape drives... NOT Kudzu ...coz seems like it is not working with
me good

Check that the relevant driver is installed. For scsi tapes that is st, and st will in turn depend on the SCSI driver for your SCSI card. Since you can see the library I would assume that your SCSI driver is working. Is the st kernel module installed? If it isn't then you need to figure out why it's stopped loading, it should get loaded at boot-up if you have SCSI tapes attached. If it is loaded, try unloading it and re-loading it and have a look in /var/log/messages to see what devices it finds.

The sg3_utils package has some useful tools in it. One of those tools is sg_scan. This scans the SCSI buses and reports on the devices it finds.

or what shall we do?!!! There is no drivers for the HP StorageWorks
Ultrium 460 Tape Drive under Red Hat Linux AS 4 Update 4!?!

No specific driver should be necessary. The st driver ought to work. We have HP Ultrium 3 drives in a Quantum ATL M2500 library on a system running AS4-U4, all of which works perfectly using st.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555