Re: dhcp and Dynamic DNS -- Multi-Boot OS clients

George Magklaras wrote:
Look in the /var/db/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases (or wherever your dhcp leases are placed in your setup) and try to locate the windows and linux incarnation lease statements of the box in question. I would probably say (I can only guess) that there is a difference between the lease for the windows and the linux instance, in that Windows incarnations tend to define additional bits in their lease statements such as a 'uid' statement that obfuscates your MAC address with a 1 and sends it over, in addition to the Ethernet broadcast that makes your DHCP server aware of who is asking for an IP. A linux client will not use that uid bit, so it does not send explicitly some coded info. That's OK for DHCP, but not OK for your RRset DDNS ops.

If you don't make the two OSes to send #exactly# the same amount of info (your RRset record in DNS should use both the uid and the hardware MAC address to identify the system in question) the RRset record will be void and you will get problems similar to the ones you describe.

The key is to make the Windowz and the Penguin behave exactly the same, so in that case, if you have a uid statement in the Windows lease, go to the Linux #client# OS /etc/dhclient.conf file and issue a statement like:

send dhcp-client-identifier YOUR-MAC-ADDRESS-HERE

in order to emulate the Windows uid bit.

If it is not that, I don't know.

GM

Thank you for the response. That is the trail that I was on, but apparently I have not found the key because even after changing the uid I still have the same issue. I tried setting uid in linux to "1:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" ; where the last part is the MAC address for the interface. I also upgraded DHCPd just to see if that helps, but it did not.

I have been trying to utilize wireshark, to track down the issue. I obviously have had this problem for a long time, and just did not know about it until recently (added more dual boot systems to the network).

I appreciate the response.

Thanks.
Scott