Re: fuser -km gives shock!!

On 2/18/07, Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> root can be accessing /home regardless of where root's home directory
> is mounted. Perhaps checking which processes you are about to kill
> before killing them would be helpful to avoid such surprises?

The problem is that the man page for fuser, as pertains to the -k option,
says:

An fuser process never kills itself, but may kill other fuser processes.

This appears to be incorrect on both FC5 and FC6...I've tried it on both,
just this morning, and it kills the session/shell running the command as
well as everything else.

I'm not really sure if this is a problem. When you kill off a whole
bunch of root processes it isn't surprising there are some other
processes caught in the crossfire.

I'm guessing that /home in these cases is not a filesystem separate
from / and that is probably the root cause of the problem.

John