Re: Fedora 6 Advice

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 mroth@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I concur. I would *not* use Fedora on your servers. I was considering
Fedora before I upgraded about a year ago from RH9, and the general
opinion, including from my old aquaintance ESR, was that Fedora was not
leading edge, but bleeding edge, and you want solid reliability, not
c00ln3ss.

Bleeding edge is not only about "c00ln3ss".

But the main issue with Fedora as an enterprise OS is that it moves too fast. The idea of upgrading a server farm 1-2 times per year to keep on the support path is anathema to a sysadmin. Just keeping my half-dozen RHEL servers operational takes all the time I can spare for them. Rebuilding them at that pace would be impossible.

I wound up going to SuSE 10, although if I'd known about CentOS then, I
might have gone there.

RHEL costs for support and access to timely updates. CentOS is the same software, but it's supported by an independent community and updates come (slightly) slower.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu