Re: Problem with syslogd

I have RHEL 4 (currently 100% up2date) running on a Dell 2950. For some reason the syslogd does not log any messages (actually no messages were even logged with in the last 5 weeks). The syslog.conf file is the standerd one (no changes made). Also syslogd seems to run for a while and then dies (not running but pid file exists)

A reboot does not fix this problem and I have no Idea where to start looking for the problem. Any suggestions on how to fix/troubleshoot this problem?

Have you verified which, if any files have changed from the RPM defaults:

rpm -V sysklogd

Have you verified the package signature?

rpm -K sysklogd