Re: DNS Issues after setting up a WAN?

inode0 wrote:
On 12/20/06, Georges I. Carraha <CarrahaG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Our resolv.conf on the server seems ok.  It has the following lines:

        domain ruclaservices.local
        search ruclaservices.local
        nameserver 192.168.0.1

When we run nslookup on a Windows PC on the remote side, we get the
following results:

        > nslookup rs-svr1.ruclaservices.local

                Server:  rs-svr1.ruclaservices.local
                Address:  192.168.0.1

                Name:    rs-svr1.ruclaservices.local
                Address:  192.168.0.1

        > nslookup rs-svr1

                Server:  rs-svr1.ruclaservices.local
                Address:  192.168.0.1

                *** rs-svr1.ruclaservices.local can't find rs-svr1:
Non-existent domain

Can anyone tell us why this is the case and how we can not correct it?

It appears that the windows PC has a resolver problem. I'm not a
windows user or admin so perhaps someone who is can be of more help.
Is there a resolv.conf on a windows PC? What does it have in it?
Search domains set there or somewhere else? What is the domain of the
windows PC?

John

yes, i believe this is windows problem.
if you run ipconfig from command prompt, you should have the line like this
Connection-specific DNS Suffix: ruclaservices.local

you can add it manually in dns suffix in ip configuration in windows client, or you can change it in your dhcp server.