Re: Problem with Password changes on Redhat machines

Andrew.Bridgeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I am currently trying to change the local root password on our Redhat
machine but i get the error below. The strange thing about it is that the
<snip>
RPC: Can't encode arguments
The password has not been changed on nisserver.
passwd: Failed preliminary check by password service

What you're doing is *not* changing the password on the local machine. This implies that your systems (plural) are set up for single passwords across all machines using NIS or NISplus. What you're doing is trying to change the root password on *all* systems, and that the NIS server is not the machine you're trying to change the password on.

	mark