Working outside window

Hi all. Firstly, for all the questions below, I DON'T WANT to enter window.

What command can I use to dial-out to ISP without going into window? What are the files that I need to setup? Also, what are needed/setup and how to retrieve my emails using uucp cause it is not a pop3 account? Sendmail can wait first cause I can send emails using window's email software.

I am using Redhat 9. How do I check what services are started when system starts? Not every script in a runlevel is started right? I cannot find linuxconf!

When are the files in sysconfig used? What is the meaning of m in config-2.4.20-8? Example CONFIG_MICROCODE=m

Thank you.