Re: What will be the version of RHEL5 kernel?

Quoting Yogi pn <yougander@xxxxxxxxx>:

What are the major changes b/w RHEL4 and RHEL5?

The best thing would be to download beta, install it on some test machine(s) and play with it, see how it works for you. I'm mostly interested in "server" changes. Somebody else might be more interested in "workstation" changes.

I've installed only minimalistic text-only server-type test machine.

Some things I noticed so far:

Anaconda has improved error handling. It will catch some error conditions and report sensible errors, instead of crashing with cryptic traceback. I was able to find one ommision in this new error checking code using my default kickstart file on my very first installation attempt. I guess it might be good idea for people using custom hand-built kickstart files to download beta, test out if installation works and complain before final is out (that's what the beta is for after all). So their kickstarts are not going to fail when RHEL5 gets "production ready" stamp.

Removable media is handled differently. There's no more fstab-sync and updating of /etc/fstab file. Likewise, mount points under /media don't seem to be static like in the RHEL4. Instead gnome-mount is used (for both text and graphical interfaces).

Packages are mostly bumped to latest or almost-latest versions. I guess server people will mostly be interested in these:

Kernel 2.6.17 (which I still hope isn't too late to bump to 2.6.18 for beta2/final)
PHP 5.1.3
MySQL 5.0.22
Cyrus-IMAPD 2.3.7 (this version shouldn't require separate frontend and backend servers for Cyrus Murder (cluster) configuration)
Apache 2.2.3
OpenSSL 0.9.8b
OpenLDAP 2.3.24 (2.2.x from RHEL4 is already totally unsupported upstream, syncrepl should be production ready in this version I guess)
xorg-x11 7.1
GCC 4.1.1

And the list goes on and on.

Other than that, it still looks preatty much like standard RHEL under the hood. At least for the server stuff.

--
NOTICE: If you are not intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that by reading this message you agreed not to disturb frogs during