Re: integrating linux clients into active directory

On 7/19/06, Bliss, Aaron <ABliss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research to see how viable linux could be in our
environment on the desktop (it's makes up most of our backbone on the
server side); like most environments, we have several linux servers
authenticating to a ldap directory server (fds) and our windows boxes
are participating in a 2003 domain; what I would like to do is to really
investigate the viability of linux on our corporate desktops; while I
know that linux machines can be joined to authenticate to Microsoft's
AD, I need to know if anyone has any solutions/ideas for browsing
network shares after logging into a desktop; what I mean is, browsing
network shares while having the desktop manager/application use the
already supplied network credentials for authentication (it's not
practical to ask users to enter their domain usernames and passwords
every time they want to browse a share); I know that xandros claims to
have this functionality natively, however I don't really believe that
xandros will bring the linux desktop to the masses; I would expect it to
be a big player such as redhat or suse....At any rate, does anyone have
any ideas that will allow for seamless file browsing?  Thanks very much.

Aaron

hello Aaron. I think if you could look at /etc/nsswitch.conf for ldap
authentication this might work. but if it is just for authentication work, I
suggest you also take a look at the kerberos and PAM authentication that
might help you.