Re: What is the best compatible file system for linux and windows?

Michael S. Dunsavage wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Ruckh
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:23 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Cc: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: What is the best compatible file system for linux and windows?

This is what you said Budi Febrianto
Hi,

I just bought a new external harddisk for my backup, I plan
to use it
for my linux system and also my windows.
Linux still can't write to ntfs (maybe can, but with
warning), while
windows can't read fat32 bigger than 32 GB (I think so) even though linux can write/read it. Is there any way that I can use my external harddisk for linux and windows the easy way? I don't want to create multiple partition on that disk.
Too many unknowns to offer any solid advice.

Is this drive only for backups? Are you planning on a single backup product to backup both OS'es? Do you plan on physically attaching this drive to both systems? Is sharing the drive over the network acceptable?

There are likely many valid solutions, but without knowing your specfic needs or intended usage, it is quite hard to make a suggestion.

I thought fat32 supported up to 2 terabytes?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32#FAT32

But windows can see 124 gig unless you don't need scandisk....

However MS format can only format 32GB

Now if you don't want to crate multiple partitions how about running MS in a
Virutal Machine like Vmware? Perhaps then just use NFS and samba?

Once I format the external harddisk with fat32 with 80 GB partition. In linux it can read/write fine, but in windows... not. Maybe I did it wrong. I'll try again. I'm using windows in office, and linux at home. That why I need to access the external hd from different os.