Restore - Linux vs Solaris

In the spirit of using Linux as much as possible, I use my FC4 server to back my Solaris system. I have built a custom script that reaches across to Solaris system and executes a remote command using SSH. The remote command used is "ufsdump". The command looks something like ssh -l user host ufsdump -0uf - /partition-to-be-backed-up |cat >/destination-directory/filename

Everything is fine til I need to restore from a back up. It seems that I can backup and restore the smaller partitions (in this case 2.2Gb) without issue. However, when I try to restore a backup for a larger partition(in this case 7.6Gb), I am unable restore without moving the backup file to a Solaris system. Once I move the backup file to a Solaris system, it seems to work correctly. So the backup is being created accurately.

Is there any know differences between the Linux "restore" command and the Solaris "ufsrestore" command? In both cases I am doing an interactive restore.
Linux -- restore -vif backup-file.dmp
Solaris -- ufsrestore -vif backup-file.dmp

I would appreciate any insights.

Leon Sonntag