From: Roger [mailto:roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 20 April 2006 16:57
To: dbrett@xxxxxxx
Cc: Red Hat
Subject: Re: Sendmail

I have tried changing the resolv.conf file to make sure that it points
to my IP Address, sendmail works but is rather slow, it takes 5 mins to
try and send a message.

you've been given advice on amending sendmail.mc and it's good advice.
However as much as I hate it when people say things such as "Dont use telnet ... use ssh" in this instance
I thoroughly recommend you move from sendmail to postfix if you can.
Well if Roger wishes to change from sendmail to postfix then by all means . But if i might say , by changing from sendmail to postfix he will not solve his problem but he will evade
the problem .

Postfix is much smarter than sendmail

If i might again , could you please avoid such statements . They can lead to chaos .

and will work out of the bag for most things,

Roger is not facing a bug . It's a misconfiguration problem i faced sometime ago .

You see there are two files that must have the correct information in order for sendmail to succeed to qualify the Fully Qualified Domain Name( FQDN in sort ) .

Namely ( Since it wasn't referenced before )

1. /etc/sysconfig/network

The Above named file must have a line stating

HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

2.   /etc/hosts

The above named file must have a line stating

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain  localhost

In the above line localhost.localdomain is  the FQDN and
localhost is the alias . Now a machine can have as many
aliases as it's administrator wishes for as long as they are
all listed here seperated by comas .

/etc/resolv.conf  MUST NOT be changed .

/etc/resolv.conf is a file used by named the Name Resolver
Daemon , who is called in time of need .

and it's way easier than sendmail to configure if you want to.

Well i have heard that many times , so it must be true .

Just all IMHO, tell me to get stuffed if you like ;)

:)) Well nobody expected more than that ( your IMHO ) .

Nick .

Kostas