Re: Randomly losing connection to server

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:54:45AM -0500, Aaron Suggitt wrote:
> Firewall disabled, static IP on the server hosting 3 web-based applications.
> Initial access to any application usually works for a short time then for no
> reason I lose all connectivity. Running a constant ping from my workstation
> will show no reply, and then a connection when I access a web application
> then it drops after a few minutes, sometimes shorter. Doesn't seem to be any
> reason to what starts or stops the connection problems.
>
> Everything was working correctly when the server was set to automatically
> obtain an IP then I switched it to static and this problem started.
>
> Any suggestions?

This is an ethernet environment I am assuming?

Is there another machine on your network that might have the same IP?  You
could check ARP tables on other boxes before and after the problem.

Have you tried with a different switch?

Try running tcpdump on various portions of your network once the problem
happens.  Maybe the packets are getting out but not getting sent back
correctly.

Ray