Re: slocate doesn't

On Apr 14, 2006, at 2:47 PM, inode0 wrote:

On 4/14/06, inode0 <inode0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/14/06, Michael Johnson <mjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Apr 14, 2006, at 12:06 PM, Ed Wilts wrote:
IMHO, Red Hat got this wrong...  Have a look at the cron job that's
supposed to generate the catalog and you'll see how they screwed it
up.

This can't be serious!

/usr/bin/updatedb -f "nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts" -e "/"

So basically, run it except for every file system you're going to
ever attach to it (okay so I can understand that a little) and
exclude the root directory.  So basically, it's going to do nothing.

No, so basically it will store meaningful information about the local
filesystem.

Oh my. Where did that come from? It should exclude network filesystems
and things like proc but not /.

I think that's the bonehead thing Ed was talking about. So if it runs every day with the default configuration, it will do absolutely nothing since the -e is on the root.

Nevertheless, it's not working for me. I'm running updatedb again with the -v flag this time to make sure I see what's happening.

-Michael