Re: LVM problems with RHEL AS4u3

Nabeel Moidu wrote:
On 3/31/06, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm running EL AS 4 Update 3 on a server that has two 3ware SATA RAID
cards.  The total space on the drives is 4TB.  I'm trying to build a VG
to combine the 2 arrays into one and I get this error when running
lvcreate:

root@blackrock ~]# lvcreate -l 715252 VolGroup0 -n LogVol0
device-mapper: deps ioctl failed: Invalid argument
_deps: task run failed for (253:1)
Failed to add device (253:1) to dtree
Failed to activate new LV.

Does anyone know what the deal is and how to fix it?  Any help would be
appreciated.

Have you created the physical volumes and volume groups first ?

Yes that was all done just like I"ve done it before. I setup a 14TB array in FC2 and never had this problem. I did find the solution on the debian mailing list. Turns out that I had to run 'vgmknodes' after creating the lvm for it to symlink in /dev correctly. After that, it worked just fine.

--
Thanks and Regards
Nabeel Moidu

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all.  Noam Chomsky

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415