Re: Problem changing local root password

It's been ages, but if memory serves, using shadow passwords along with NIS tended to be problematic.

If you do use a shadow password file, you can use pwunconv to generate a proper password file from it. (You can recreate the shadow file afterwards by means of the pwconv command.)

If that still doesn't resolve te issue, try prepending the root record in the passwd file by a + sign.

Kind regards,

Herta

Russell Harrison wrote:
It could be a problem with shadow passwords?  Verify you have the correct
version of shadow-utils installed.  Thats just a shot in the dark, BTW.