Directory Server

I was just looking for some advice on a project I've got coming up. I'm looking at consolidating a NIS and Active Directory solution into a single system for authentication and user administration. There will be 1 to 3 busy admins and about 30 users. There is a very small number of Windows workstations and servers, maybe 25-30 total, and about 40 Linux/Solaris workstations and servers. Highest priority will be strong security controls of users and groups on the Linux and Solaris systems. I would like to limit what users could login to specific systems and what they could do on those systems. Right now this is done on a system by system basis and using sudoers. I also would like to serve home directories via NFS for the Linux workstations and samba for the Windows workstations. I have been considering Fedora Directory Server with a Samba server acting as a PDC for the Windows systems authenticating back to FDS via LDAP. Would FDS be able to meet this criteria in some sort of basic configuration or would it be overkill? I am very new to LDAP, but I think I'm up for the challenge if it can do all that I hope it can. Any pointers or lessons learned would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian Marks
GCIA~ GCIH~ RHCE~