From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew Bacchi
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:56 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: change ownership issue

If it's a manageable number of users, I would create a common group, add all users uid and the application uid to that group. Then chgrp the file to the common group with write permission. As you create new users, add them to the common group as well ad their own group.

chgrp commongroup filename
chmod g+w filename

Blackburn, Marvin wrote:

We have users that create files with a certain name. We also have applications which often need to overwrite
these files --
not change the contents.
However, if the users have created the file -- the
application does not
have the pemissions to replace it,
and the user cant change the ownership on his on.

Any ideas how I might be able to rectify this?

------------------
Marvin Blackburn
Systems Administrator
Glen Raven
"He's no failure. He's not dead yet" --William Lloyd George

--
veritatis simplex oratio est
		- Seneca

Andrew Bacchi