Re: (RHE4) Logrotate Not Restarting Syslog

Bohmer, Andre ten wrote:
If I run the postrotate command by itself, it works. However, it does not
work when I force the logrotate, as seen below:

[root@host log]# logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.d/syslog
error: error running shared postrotate script for /var/log/messages
/var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/spooler /var/log/boot.log
/var/log/cron

Does anyone know why this is not working?
Maybe, but I had something similar which was caused because the /tmp partition mounted with noexec.

This is common - bugzilla.redhat.com has fair bit of information in regards to it.

Easiest fix is, edit /etc/cron.daily/logrotate so that it contains : export TMPDIR=/var/run before the /usr/sbin/logrotate line.

The only issue with this solution is - if you ever update logrotate this config file will have to be re-edited

Regards,

Sean