Re: Login Warning

Apparently Kelley Coleman (Kelley.Coleman@xxxxxx) wrote:

I've been tasked to get login warnings on our Linux systems.  On the
console, I need a login warning to display on the same screen or on an
immediately prior screen where the username and password would be
entered.
I also need to display the same or similar warning on all ssh and sftp
connections.  I've found where I can get the warnings to show AFTER
someone has connected, but not before. Seems a little
counter-intuitive
to me, but I'm told by our security officer that it is a requirement.
Any thoughts?

Kelley Coleman

Try the Banner option in the sshd_config. It displays the banner before the login process is done, and still allows a separate motd if you like which as you've discovered is displayed after authentication.

In the sshd_config file, look for (or add yourself) a line starting with "Banner" There is probably already a Banner line commented out. Here for instance is what mine looks like:

# no default banner path
#Banner /some/path
Banner /etc/DOEbanner

The first two lines are exactly as packaged, effectively turning the option off since they are commented out. The third line I added (plus of course I created the file /etc/DOEbanner with the required text.) (Restart your sshd (or SIGHUP) to reread the new configuration once done.)

Hth,

Wayne (not Wayner)