Re: Will FedoraCore1-built binaries run on all Fedora systems?

At 1/5/2006 12:45 PM, Allen Smith wrote:
You can also type:
ldd foo
to get a list of dynamic libraries needed by a binary called foo.

Yes, thank you for the library-dependency background info. I'm a developer and have some experience in this topic.

What I do not know: how much work does the Fedora community do to ensure that the libraries for new FedoraCore platforms are backwards compatible with old ones?

I am building software to target all the Fedora platforms (from FC1 through FC4...or any new ones that come out), and I'd prefer that I build one binary for all four (currently) of the FedoraCore platforms for the i386/i686 base...and not have to setup and run 4 different Fedora build machines in my "build farm" (from which I'm also building Windows, RHEL, Debian, and probably FreeBSD flavors of my software as well).

As side note: are i386/i686 essentially the same binary? Or should I be careful to binary-distribution-config control (and differentiate between) these 2 flavors (i386 and i686)?

To be clear: I'm not worried about .rpm packages for now. I'm just talking about the binary-application dependence, and therefore the conversation probably becomes mostly a library-dependence conversation.

I am building exclusively C++-based code using the g++ toolset that comes with whatever Fedora machine I build from, and I can update the g++ toolset as need be.

-Matt