RE: Why would a device file in RH ES 4 have a non-zero size

You say that e2fsck did not found problems. What is the file size after
e2fsck? E2fsck may clear the file size without informing the user about
the correction. The non-zero sizes of device files are not allowed on
EXT2 filesystem. According to the e2fsprogs documentation such a
situation (non-zero size of a device file) should be found and corrected
since e2fsprogs version 1.19.
>From the e2fsck ver. 1.19 (July 13, 2000) documentation:
"E2fsck now checks if special devices have a non-zero size, and offers
to clear the size field if it finds such an inode."

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com.