Re: /etc/host or /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/host ? SOLVED

Thanks for the suggestions Tom. Here is what I found and how I solved it. I first checked the tape backup log file for the Arkiea tape backup software as I suspected that this might identify if there was a problem in the hosts file as two of our desktops are backed up from the server. This showed that they backed up ok. I then checked the /etc/aliases file for sendmail to verify that it had my current aliases configuration; this was ok. Then checked the /etc/aliases.rpmnew file as you suggested. This file contained a basic alias file that had not been custom configured. So apparently my system updates have not over-written my configuration files. I ran the newaliases macro to be sure that the aliases were recognized. Re-running the newaliases command may, or may not, have been needed, but that did not let loose mail from the queue. Finally I checked what I should have looked at from the beginning; sendmail was not running. I am setup as a file server and do not run a mail service, the only mail that transits our server is the administrative messages directed to root from various applications. I restarted sendmail and it opened the floodgates from the mail queue.

From this little exercise I have learned that my system is reading my hosts
file from /etc/hosts and not from /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts. I think I may synchronize these files just in case something changes on my system in the future and it looks for hosts in the /sysconfig directory.

Thanks for your assistance.
Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Callahan, Tom" <CallahanT@xxxxxxxxxx> To: "'Jeff Boyce'" <jboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "'General Red Hat Linux discussion list'" <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 10:43 AM
Subject: RE: /etc/host or /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/host ?

The files in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ should directly
emulate what is your used configuration, otherwise upon reboot you could
lose your current settings, as I believe it loads your configs from that
directory.

I created a script awhile back that syncs up my current networking configs
to that directory, and it runs every hour, so I won't by accident lose the
settings if I have a system crash, or such a thing.  Also...

Check your sendmail aliases file. More than likely, you had changed the
alias root to point to your email address, and during the up2date, it
updated sendmail and overwrote your aliases file.

If this happened, you old alias file will be /etc/aliases.rpmsave or
something to that degree.

Thanks,
Tom Callahan