/etc/host or /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/host ?

Greetings -

I upgraded the kernel on my RHEL 3 file server last week and am now at 2.4.21-37.ELsmp. I was previously at the stock 2.4.21-4.ELsmp kernel. The results of the up2date process appeared to go well at the time. Now I have noticed that I am not receiving the daily email notifications for Logwatch and my tape backup software. I looked at my /etc/host file and saw that it was the same as it was before updating my kernel. I checked some of my reference manuals and one mentioned that it referenced the location of the host file in /etc/sysconfig directory. I found a host file at /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/host. I don't know if this host file was there previous to my kernel upgrade. This host file is different than the one in /etc/host which I had previously configured for our network. Can anyone tell me which one I should have configured for my network? Is it possible that the new kernel looks for the host file under the /etc/sysconfig directory whereas the old kernel looked for it under just the /etc directory?

Thanks.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com