RHEL4 freeze

Hello! I have a serious problem. Our RHEL 4 system hangs unexpectedly, and before, every time, while copying "big" files over scp to it, that were more than 100MB, or some time when more. I thought the problem is over, when it managed to transfer 7GB, and run for about a week without any problems, but came back, just suddenly, without the copy, or doing anything special then. I watched the logs and the console, but there were no signs of error messages, even the System Request keys don't work, just reboot, what I can do then. The packages are upgraded to the latest version, the machine runs the SMP kernel, PIII, 2 processors. Anyone seen something like this? Or any idea or advice? It would be very good, to have this server stabilized, soon.
Thanks, in advance, for any help,
Balázs