Re: Software Install Best Practice?

Danny Howard wrote:

Hello,

I am new to Linux.  I come from FreeBSD, and I am used to the idea that
if I need to add a package, I can do so through the ports tree.

On Fedora, I have come to a similar accomodation.  I added LIVNA to my
yum repositories like so:

rpm -ivh
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/4/i386/RPMS.lvn/livna-release-4-0.lvn.5.4.noarch.rpm

Now I can "yum install" most anything on Fedora. :)

And I have an RHEL box, needs a bunch of Perl modules.  I have consulted
TFM at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-rpm-using.html
and they say I should use RPM, and first I have to find the .rpm files,
and I should look:

   http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

Well, that's a list of Fedora mirrors ... uhmmm ...

   * Red Hat Network — Refer to Chapter 17 Red Hat Network for more
details on Red Hat Network
Chapter 17 makes RHN look like some GUI admin tool for keeping the Base
OS up to date.  I want to find a trusted repository of Perl modules,
etc.  Pointers on where I should go and what I should read?

Thanks,
-danny

To add Perl modules to your machine run CPAN.

It will take you through a setup procedure in which you pick one or more repositories from a list. You can then download and install the modules using CPAN.

Just type
# cpan

to start the process.

By the way, just out of curiosity, why are you using rpm to maintain your system rather than up2date, yum, or smart?

.