Re: up2date problems

Allen, Jack wrote:
        After registering the system with RHN I tried to run up2date and
this is what I get. (mckstardb)root# up2date -l *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x096d79c8 *** Abort Where do I begin to look for the problem? If a program or glibc is corrupted how can I correct this from the CDs?
I am afraid the backup that was done will have the same corrupted
program in it. Thanks: Jack Allen

That's a "feature" of the latest gblic. I've not seen it affect up2date though, that's not supposed to happen.

From the RHEL4 release notes:

"The version of glibc provided with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 performs additional internal sanity checks to prevent and detect data corruption as early as possible. By default, should corruption be detected, a message similar to the following will be displayed on standard error (or logged via syslog if stderr is not open):

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption: 0x0937d008 ***

By default, the program that generated this error will also be killed; however, this (and whether or not an error message is generated) can be controlled via the MALLOC_CHECK_ environment variable. The following settings are supported:

    *

      0 — Do not generate an error message, and do not kill the program
    *

      1 — Generate an error message, but do not kill the program
    *

      2 — Do not generate an error message, but kill the program
    *

      3 — Generate an error message and kill the program"

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555