Re: Car pooling application?

On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:16 PM, Ed Wilts wrote:

Google isn't too much help in this one... Too many people are building
in-car applications on Linux.

With the rising gas costs, I've been asked to help identify a simple
carpooling application that people in our office could use to match up a
ride to work.  Anybody know of one?

I must not understand your question Ed, you certainly aren't the type I expect to see a seemingly frivolous post from. Why do you need a "carpooling" focused application when simple tools already exist. Hmm... mailing lists, spreadsheets, a piece of paper hanging in the cafeteria? :)

Even if you wanted to get creative, a very basic database-driven web app could be crafted out of a few lines of PHP or even RoR in about 15 minutes.

Or are you looking for something really creative (a-la a dating service) to take addresses and compute the best possible carpooling schedules based on geography and proximity? Sounds like overkill. *shrug*

More details?

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting