RHEL without License?

I'm not sure if this question has been brought up
before or not.  I was asked by someone if they can
continue running RHEL after their yearly subscription
has expired.  They don't want to pay and don't mind
living without the security updates and access to RHN.
 Is this legal or not?  Please provide links from Red
Hat documentation if possible to support your
position.  Thanks for your time.