modem working

I have installed a us robotics modem.

When I try to run minicom, it does not recognise the
modem and also says that it is not installed. This is
not very serious. I can live without minicom.

The serious thing is that when I wish to install it
thru network devices, the system refuses to recognise
the modem.

On the other hand, when I run kppp, it not only
recognises the modem but also dials it and I can surf
the Internet.

Could someone tell why the system cannot pick up my
modem, while kppp does it successfully. Also, what
should I do to configure it thru network devices.

I am using Redhat 9.0.
Thanks
shiraz