Re: NIC card problems

Michael Kearey wrote:
On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 10:35 -0400, Bill Tangren wrote:

I just purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2800 and installed Linux on it. I have installed Linux on several boxes and had few problems, but I definitely have a problem this time.

There are several flavours and versions of 'Linux' around. Since you
posted in redhat-list, it is safe to assume that it's Red Hat OS. But
what version, and what release:

cat /etc/redhat-release

RHEL ES4

I don't know of any specific problem with the e1000 modules for RHEL 3
or 4, but it is very likely that a simple update of the system will
help.

So if you have RHEL3 or 4 and registered with RHN, :

up2date -u
up2date -u kernel kernel-utils --force

The network cards aren't working, so this won't work, as of yet. I am considering putting the updates on a CD and updating that way.

If you have the SMP kernel, use 'kernel-smp' in the list of updates to
force.

This is interesting. I did this install on a new machine, and told it to install everything. It installed both kernel-2.6.9-5.EL and kernel-2.6.9-5.EL-SMP. I deleted the SMP kernel, as there is only one cpu. Don't know why the install did that. I've never seen it do that before on any other machine.

Also look at the output of   modinfo e1000   . This provides information
on what the module accepts as arguments when it loads.

For doc's on the module, make sure kernel-doc is installed and look
at /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-
<version>/Documentation/networking/e1000.txt

Cheers,
Michael