mt refuses to report location on the tape

I have a RHEL WS 4 Update 1 machine with a DLT drive attached. A user wants to use it, but is encountering some weird behavior from mt.

The device shows up in dmesg, the module is loaded, and /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0 exist. tar -tvf will successfully list the contents of a tape in the drive. However, 'mt -f /dev/nst0 tell' fails with 'no such device'. Normally I would suspect that the tape drive doesn't have this capability, but this command worked just fine with the machine's former Redhat 7.2 install. mt's other functions, including rewind, etc. appear to be working fine.

Any ideas?

-Mindy