Re: Which Kernel to use, .EL or .ELsmp

On Thu, 26 May 2005 linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have a HP workstation (xw4200) running with a single CPU (3GHz Pentium 4). Shoud I use the standard Kernel 2.4.21-...EL or the multiprocessor kernel 2.4.21-...ELsmp?

I assume that the standard Kernel is the best for my computer, or doesn't it matter?

If your machine only has one core on the die then you should probably stick with the non-SMP kernel (although running the SMP kernel won't cause any harm). If you have more than one core (i.e. you have HyperThreading available and enabled) then you can try the SMP kernel and linux will report two CPUs.

Ben
        Life Is Short.          It's All Good.