Re: web forum software suggestions

Ben Russo wrote:
Bill Tangren wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what software (preferably provided by redhat via up2date) that I could set up to create a web based discussion forum for my research group? I am looking at freeScene PHPForum (http://phpforum.sourceforge.net/), but would like opinions from those out there that have set up such programs before.

Thanks!

Bill Tangren

Well, it isn't exactly a "forums" system. But I like it better than forums systems because it allows me to use my news-client. I wish that people would stop setting up customized forum sites, because they are all different and it is a pain to have to use all those different interfaces.

phNNTP http://sourceforge.net/projects/phnntp/

It is just a web front end to a news server.
So that people who are familar with NNTP newsgroup clients can use any newsgroup client they want, and others can just bookmark the group they are interested in. They can register on the web-page, and then login and read or post to groups.

At my office I set up a regular news server and then I put phnntp in front of it. I set up "news" groups for anybody who wants one.

We also have a wiki server that everyone can use to post documentation or whatever. Works very well, but only a handful of people ever use it.
(unfortunately)

-Ben.

Thanks. I already have newsgroups set up for this purpose, but few use them. <sigh> I'll check this out, and see if I can increase communication using it.