Re: Second Try: Kernel update not recognized

Michael, All,
Thanks for the answer, here is what I found when checking your questions. Letsee.... answers to your query in order:

1. /boot partition according to sfdisk -s for /dev/hda1: 104391 blocks.

2. Quite honestly, I never have run out of space on the boot partition
before! (On several RedHat 6.x,7.x, 8.x, 9.x or the Enterprise Advanced Server (RHEL3)) installations before. So... I never had to learn how to delete old kernels (sheepish grin). I have been a "learn as needed" admin; focused on system security/sendmail and Apache config and security. The kernel and new kernel updates "just worked".

3. There is no /boot/grub.

4. ["nop@nop" root]# rpm --query kernel
kernel-2.4.21-4.EL
kernel-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL
kernel-2.4.21-20.EL
kernel-2.4.21-20.0.1.EL
kernel-2.4.21-27.EL
kernel-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL
kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL
kernel-2.4.21-27.0.4.EL

5. ["nop@nop" root]# rpm --verify --all "kernel*"
missing /boot/System.map-2.4.21-4.EL
missing /boot/config-2.4.21-4.EL
missing /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-4.EL
missing /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.EL
missing /boot/System.map-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL
missing /boot/config-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL
missing /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL
missing /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL
missing /boot/System.map-2.4.21-20.EL
missing /boot/config-2.4.21-20.EL
missing /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-20.EL
missing /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.EL
missing /boot/System.map-2.4.21-20.0.1.EL
missing /boot/config-2.4.21-20.0.1.EL
missing /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-20.0.1.EL
missing /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.0.1.EL
missing /boot/System.map-2.4.21-27.EL
missing /boot/config-2.4.21-27.EL
missing /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-27.EL
missing /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-27.EL
Looks to me like the boot partition could be full and although I use GRUB, the /boot/grub folder does not even exists... so why should grub.conf? In addition, the /boot path on my available drive contains the three "present but unrecognized" newer kernel version files.

I'll see if I can escape to the books again and learn more about managing the boot partition.

If anyone has some quick suggestions and/or direct references to help me get up to speed fast, TIA!

-Sanch