Can`t boot up!

RedHat ES 3
IBM Server 8676, Model G1X

It`s been running fine for months. It`s going to be our new mail server. No problems. Well, it hasn`t been touched in a couple of months (literally, the mouse and keyboard have been on a shelf and it has not been touched, and it has not been live and nobody has been able to log into it remotely or locally). So I try to log in to do some work, but the root password won`t work when I go to add users through the graphical interface for some new staff for when we go live. I know what the root password is, I know I`m typing it correctly, it`s just bizarre. I open a command line and try to su to root. su won`t work. Very bizarre. So I reboot the thing, I do it through the clicking method. Other than what I have described above, literally nothing - NOTHING - has been done on this machine in months. This means, not so much as clicking on the menu, not opening a text file or Internet browser, not clicking on the desktop: NOTHING.

The machine will not boot up.

{
Welcome to Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES
Press 'I' to enter Interactive startup.
grep: /proc/cmdline: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/mounts: No such file or directory
Configuring kernel parameters: [ OK ]
iiSetting clock (localtime): Tue May 10 09:57:36 EDT 2005 [ OK ]
Setting hostname webmail: [ OK ]
cat: /proc/cmdline: No such file or directory
}

At this point, I can hit CTRL-C and get two more lines:

{
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
cat: /proc/cpuinfo: No such file or directory
}

I can`t do anything else at this point.

I tried to use RESCUE MODE from the boot CD, and I can get to a shell, but don`t know how to correct this once I get there. I checked the /etc/fstab and it looks perfectly normal. I just don`t get it. It`s on a UPS made for servers, but it`s still possible this was all started by a powersurge or something. Again, when I say NOTHING other than what I described was done on this server over the past months, I mean that in the most literal way. That is what has me so baffled. But at this point, I just need some way to get it to work! I`d appreciate any advice. I`ve compared the /etc/fstab to the one reference I could find to this exact problem on Usenet, and mine matches up identically to that one, so I`m thinking that is not the issue.

- Joshua B. Lilly
Patrick County Public Schools