ipsec

I am stumped here and am hoping that somebody here can help. I have a RHEL 3 box at one location and they want to setup an IPSec VPN to an Windows 2003 server at another location. We have tried different things and nothing seems to work. The other Windows server is sitting behind a Cisco Router that would be doing the IPSec. For some reason, the two networks just can't talk through a VPN.
The RHEL 3 box can PPTP VPN out to other systems. We have even setup a windows box (2000) that can PPTP VPN into the RHEL box. But the Windows 2003 server can't VPN to the RHEL box and the RHEL box can't PPTP VPN to the Windows 2003 server. But the windows 2000 server can PPTP VPN into either of these two servers.
We have tried to get a netgear vpn router to work and it never connects from here (where the RHEL box is). The person at the other end setup the netgear vpn box to connect to his Cisco router and got it to work. He then shipped it to me and it can't connect from here. When he set it up, he was NOT on the same network as the Cisco router. He then bought another netgear router and tried it again, just in case. He could get it to work from his location, but not from here.
Here in Kansas I am on a dsl line through SBC Global. The other end is in a high end data center in California. I am not exactly sure of the setup, but it is definitely not dsl or T1. I think it is throught OC3's and better. Anyway, I have to use PPPOE to connect my network here with 14 IP's through the dsl line. We are wondering if that could mess things up? All systems on my network here have to have One-to-One NAT if they want to be accessed from the outside on a public IP. On this end, I am now running an Linksys RV082 Firewall Gateway with the latest Firmware installed.