Re: ps shows wierd clock time values ?

Tobias Speckbacher wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ben Russo
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:32 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ps shows wierd clock time values ?

Today I looked at a system that has weird timestamp/clock issues?
Anybody seen this before, know what it is?
I have some excerpts of commands below that demonstrate the issue.
Please note the 2006, and April 15 dates on some of the processes and
file timestamps as well as process times last year, when the "uptime"
says only 17 days (March 25th)....  But I could swear that the box has
been up for a LONG time (like maybe 2+ years?)
Doesn't make sense.

What you are seeing are symptoms of the "jiffies overflow" bug.
The problem is that uptime and process related time values are stored as
a 32 bit values which contain the number of jiffies elapsed (jiffie =
1/100th second). Basically the counter overflows after 497 days of
uptime and the symptoms your system exhibits appear.

Upgrading the kernel to a more recent version should fix the issue.

Thanks, I just found that out myself...

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0202.2/0337.html

But I am running a RedHat Enterprise Linux Kernel 2.4.9-e.27
which was built on Tue 05 Aug 2003 by RedHat.
Isn't that kernel already patched for this OLD bug?

I have tried searching RedHat bugzilla for the Jiffies bug to see
If I could find a specific kernel version that listed it as
"fixed" but I haven't seen that, just a mention that in the old
RedHat 7.1 it was "closed"

If I upgrade the kernel to 2.4.9-e.59 (the latest RHEL-AS-2.1 kernel)
will that have the fix?

-Ben.