RE: Blackhole

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Chris Kenward wrote:

Hi Gavin

If gcc needed to be installed to run the rootkit hunter, does it
make sense that the person trying to compile blackhole.c ran into
the same problems with not having a compilation environment?

You just made me feel a whole lot better! ;) Thanks - never thought of that. Naturally there could have been other methods tried I guess but certainly he wouldn't have been able to compile the backdoor if that's indeed what was needed.

as a result - it may pay to remove the gcc and related packages you installed using "up2date gcc". Or, if you wish to leave it there so that you can continue to compile software then simply chmod 000 the gcc binary (and related files)

--
Steve.