Continuing Gnome Configuration Problem

I am a relatively new, novice Linux user looking for assistance with a problem that I am sure I created as a result of my inexperience. I am pretty good at diagnosing problems, but am not familiar with Linux enough to know where to look.

System:  Dell PE2600, RHEL3, configured as file server with Samba

Problem: A blank (i.e., black) desktop without any icons when starting X manually as root user. Can not open a file manager window. Also a long delay occurs (1-2 minutes) when logging out of X.

Events Leading Up to Problem: The only unique actions that occurred on the system the previous day included the
installation of the NUT (network ups tools) software from source, and the subsequent uninstallation of NUT. I had never installed from source before and the installation went fine without errors. There was not a *make uninstall* for the program so I followed some instructions to review the *makefile* to see where all the files where installed and delete the files/directories manually. The following directories were removed (actually moved to Trash). The install and uninstall both occurred as the root user.

/opt/NUT/nut-2.0.1    (contained the unzipped source files)
/usr/local/ups/man
/usr/local/ups/share
/usr/local/ups/bin
/usr/local/ups/sbin

Diagnostic tests/actions tried: These problems do not occur when starting X from a non-root user. As suggested by someone I have checked the permissions on the /root/.gconf directory (700) and they are the same as the permissions on a normal users directory /home/jeffb/.gconf directory (700) that has a normal desktop. I am unable to see if there are any error messages sent to screen when X starts (a recommendation on how to capture this information would be appreciated), but when X finally shuts down the list below includes some of the information on the screen. The AUDIT statement is also listed in the /var/log/Xfree86.0.log file.

Session_Manager=local/bison:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2422
AUDIT: Thu Apr 7 09:00:58 2005: 2418 X: client 4 rejected from local host
Option given which is no longer supported in this version of Gnome-terminal; you might want to create a profile with the desired setting, and use the new --window-with-profile option
Unable to open desktop file applications: ///Office/redhat-word-processor.desktop for panel launcher: Error reading file 'applications:///office/redhat-word-processor.desktop' : file not found
<snip>
Saving Session: gnome-terminal --use-factory --window-with-profile-internal-ID=Default --show-member --role=gnome-terminal-14721 --1476088167-1090439518 --title root@bison:~ --working-directory /root --zoom 1
Waiting for X server to shut down

I would appreciate any suggestions on what to look for, where to look, other diagnostic steps, etc. that will assist me in returning my root user desktop back to normal. Could a solution be a simple as copying a set of configuration files from a user that is working normally? If so what files? Thanks for any assistance.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com