executables work in one place, not in the other

I just moved two servers to enterprise 4, and on both of them, I have things like this happening, with different files and different unpredictable results. This problem is not restricted to perl, but has effects on all executables and some upredictable behaviour with apache and symbolic links. In both cases, the filesystem is on one partition, so it's not as if one partition is corrupt and the other isn't. Here's an example. Any ideas?

------example------->
[root@front datylus]# more testperl.cgi
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

print "<h1>Hello!\n";
[root@front datylus]# dir -l testperl.cgi
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 77 Mar 25 12:49 testperl.cgi
[root@front datylus]# ./testperl.cgi
[root@front datylus]# cp testperl.cgi /root
[root@front datylus]# cd /root
[root@front ~]# ./testperl.cgi