Re: SATA controller problems - IRQ's!

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Pete Nesbitt wrote:

On Friday 01 April 2005 12:09 pm, Alexander Lazarevich wrote:
I'm trying to install a SATA drive into my RHEL3-AS system but am having
lot's of problems. The mobo is the gigabyte GA-7VAX with most recent BIOS
(F13), which does not have onboard SATA. So I've got a PCI-SATA controller
in a PCI slot, it's the SIIG SC-SAT212 (two channel SATA, non-RAID), which
has the SIL 3112 chip in it. The drive is IBM 400GB. Both the SATA adapter
and card are known good, they work fine in windows.

But in RHEL3-AS, the drive shows up as /dev/hda, and I can fdisk the drive
just fine, but as soon as I try to create a filesystem on /dev/hda1, the
system IRQ's start going beserk, and the load goes up to 7-8, and the
system is unusable. I can wait for the mkfs to finish, but then any time I
access the new filesystem, the system IRQ's go nuts again (75-90% usage).

What is the deal with SATA controllers and IRQ's in linux?

Anyone have an idea if it's a driver issue? If so, where can I download
the right driver? Or do I have to install with a special option?

By the way, I also tried RHEL4-AS, and FC3, and those as well have the
same IRQ problem.

Thanks!

Alex

Hi, What other drives are on the box? It is interesting that the SATA drive is showing up as the first PATA drive. I have a couple Seagate SATA's on an ASUS board and built similar on an ABIT board. In both cases the controller was a VIA onboard and in both cases the drives show up as scsi (such as /dev/sda1 ). I have no special args in grub.conf

Hmm, that's true, now that you mention it. All my other linux boxed have onboard sata controllers and they are /dev/sda's, not hda's. The Suse system is showing it as an sda as well though, and it works fine in Suse.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue related to it being a PCI vs. onboard controller. No big deal, this machine can be Suse. I just like RH better.

This may sound ridiculous, but are you sure the hda is the SATA drive?

Heh, not that I don't make those kind of mistakes, but heck yeah it's SATA dude!

Here are a few outputs from my box:
(system has only 2 disk drives, both SATA, and an IDE dvd burner that shows up
as /dev/hdc)

cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3200822AS      Rev: 3.01
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3200822AS      Rev: 3.01
  Type:   Direct-Access
(..trimmed)

egrep -i "scsi|sda|sata" /etc/modprobe.conf
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via

lsmod|egrep -i "scsi|sda|sata"
sata_via                8389  9
libata                 49737  1 sata_via
scsi_mod              152217  3 usb_storage,libata,sd_mod

Hope that helps

Not much, but it's nice to hear from someone when I post. Thanks! Anyway, problem is solved for now. I doubt I'll run accross another mobo without built in SATA ever again... I hope...

Later,

Alex