RE: Swap space with 12G memory

> > What is the swap space recommended for
> > RH Enterprise 3 for 12G of memory. Currently we are using 4G.

Depends on the core dump. If you have 12 gig of ram and do a core dump
and it fills the dump partition the machine may not reboot properly.

For normal running I would suggest 1 or 2 gig of swap is heaps, in
reality if you use more than 500meg you are usually screwed anyway.

> > The app is an LSAP system > 6G of data,
> >
> > JYard
> > UCLA

> The Rule of Thumb is normaly 1.5 - 2 times the physical amount of ram.
that its was they tall you
> So in your case 18 - 24g of swap.
Thats its very stupid.

I tend to agree.

This rule of thumb was current when a machine had 32 or 64meg of main
ram, it has little justification these days IMHO.

why waste so much disk in something not worthy?
I always says if you have a lot of RAM because you need it (Big DB) and
you start to use to much swap (>512) better buy more RAM.
> I would check to see if your app requires that much ram.
as far as i know, there is not such thing like "much ram".

My only concern is the core/kcore, I have had cores 100% a partition and
the machine is then unstable. Advice off the application vendor might be
useful, but from experience the helpdesk people you will talk to will
not really know.

Regards

Thing