RE: Want ability to restore from failed upgrade.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Chris W. Parker wrote:

So you're saying if I tar the entire fs (minus /proc) I can somehow copy it back? How do I do that? I don't understand how that would work unless I were doing it remotely and not having booted the computer normally.

there are a number of ways..

* install a base os (minimal install) and then unzip over the top of it
* boot to a rescue cd and then untar it over a blank drive
* have a spare hard drive in the machine, mount this, preform the copy and then dismount it, install grub on the second drive. on failure, swap jumpers
* Other stuff

(and before anyone mentions mirroring would be a good way to do number 3, this was dating back before the days of being able to boot off a mirror using the md suite, infact, you had to manually patch your kernel to give it RAID support)

Here's why I'm confused. With image files don't you have to boot into a
special "operating system" that will allow you to overwrite all the
files that would normally be in use? (This is how it works for Windows
at least [I think].)

Sometimes, yes, tho the techniques i mentioned above have always seemed to work for me *shrug*

--
Steve.