xterminal help needed

Hello,

I am trying to get the gnome interface to come up on a Redhat workstation. I have two systems a big system down the hall and a workstation at my desk. I do not want to use VNC, but I believe there this approach is a better way. So I want to use the workstation as an Xterminal. I remember the last time I did this a few years ago all I had to do was execute a command or two. What I am saying is I forgot how to do this. I have done research on the web but have come up empty because everything I read were to complex for such a simple task, or did not work. I have gotten xclock and the xterm program to work, for example to work but I cannot remember how to bring up the desktop environment. I have set the DISPLAY variable to FQDN:0.0 on the big system, I believe the question I am asking what do I run and on which system, to get the desktop on the workstation?

jim