Re: Pine mboxes to mysql maybe?

On Dec 31, 2004, at 3:27 PM, Northrup, Wilson wrote:

For years I've been using PINE to read mail. It's really been fine but
after realizing my mailbox alone has gigs of mail, perhaps it is time to
change. It seems that having email stored in a database would allow faster
and perhaps easier searching over using grep/sed to find a particular
message.

Ultimately, I'd like to have a setup that offers some type of text mail
interface (PINE MUTT, maybe something else?) that I can use through SSH,
but also a web interface which includes the ability to search for keywords
throughout ones entire mail store.

There are lots of options available, I'd be interested in hearing any
experiences from others who may have done a similar conversion already.

I've never heard of anything like that, short of something like Exchange or Open-Xchange (or any other myriad of groupware servers). It sounds like you're proposing a completely new alternative to mbox or maildir, since it would require the MTA to deliver it to the database via an understood format. I highly doubt you'll find anything like this, particularly since text-based clients only understand one or both of the standard mail formats.

Nevertheless, you've brought up a good point that I'm surprised hasn't been touched on elsewhere. The proliferation of email in our daily lives, coupled with the availability of enterprise-capable OSS databases, makes me think this is a problem ripe for a solution. I'd like to think that Postfix (for example) could support a drop-in SQL local/virtual delivery mechanism.

Long story short, I don't think you'll find what you're looking for right now. An alternative might be to use some home-grown script (run via cron) to convert your mbox files into SQL. But that still won't give you a ready-made web interface for your data. It can all be done, it's just a matter of someone doing it.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting